Bangkok courts issue 17 new warrants in connection with bombing

0
1269

A Thai court approved 17 new arrest warrants in connection with last month’s terrorist bombing in Bangkok that killed 20 and injured more than 100, an official said Saturday.

Police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri said investigators had found enough evidence to link the bomb site to an apartment where bomb-making equipment was found.

On Friday, police said one previously detained suspect is the man responsible for placing the bomb at a popular shrine in a central shopping district of the capital.

Metropolitan Police chief Srivara Rangsi-prammanaku said new evidence had determined that Bilal Muhammed, an ethnic Uighur of Chinese nationality, is the man who planted the device on August 17.

Defence lawyer Choochart Khanphai insisted that Muhammed is Turkish citizen who arrived in Thailand days after the attack. He said he could not confirm the latest police revelations because he has been denied access to his client since Wednesday.

Choochart said that Muhammed was sick in hospital and was interrogated all night by police officers.

“Something doesn’t add up,” he said.

Muhammed was arrested on August 29 at an apartment in Bangkok where bomb-making materials were found.

Police investigations have focused on a people-smuggling ring that trafficked Uighur refugees from China to Turkey, using Thailand as a transit point.

Police and government representatives have been widely criticized for apparent inconsistencies, including the possible motive for the attack.

NO COMMENTS