Burkina Faso presidential guard refuses to disarm after coup attempt

0
1209

Burkina Faso’s disbanded presidential guard has refused to disarm as agreed, after the 1,200-member unit mounted a failed coup earlier this month, the regular military said late Monday.

The Burkina Faso Army had been overseeing the disarming of the presidential guard over the weekend when opposition to the move arose, the military said.

The presidential guard under coup leader Gilbert Diendere took interim President Michel Kafando, interim Prime Minister Isaac Zida and two ministers captive on September 16. Under pressure from the regular army and West African leaders, coup leaders agreed seeveral days later to hand power back to civilian authorities.

The interim government was reinstated last week, and announced Friday that it was disbanding the presidential guard.

The coup leaders had opposed plans to integrate the presidential guard into the army. The also wanted loyalists of previously toppled president Blaise Compaore to be allowed to contest elections due later this year.

Compaore fled in October 2014 to Ivory Coast following massive protests against plans to extend his 27-year rule.

NO COMMENTS