Truce reportedly signed by coup leaders, loyalists in Burkina Faso


Ouagadougou (dpa) – Coup leaders and loyalists in Burkina Faso signed a truce Tuesday night, ending a week of hostilities, a news report said.

The presidential guards that staged the coup agreed to remain confined to barracks, while the loyalists said they would retreat to 50 kilometres from the capital, French broadcaster RFI reported online.

The deal does not disarm the guards as the loyalists had hoped, but should avoid any outbreaks of violence during the visit of four heads of state from the Economic Community of West African States.

The leaders are set to participate in a second round of mediation talks on Wednesday, the report said.

Gilbert Diendere, the brigadier general leading the coup, said that interim President Michel Kafando would be “back in the saddle” as early as Wednesday.

Diendere had said earlier in the day that he was committed to negotiations, as the army mobilized on the streets of Ouagadougou.

“We will hand over power to a civilian authority, which will still be determined. We have no intention to hold onto power,” he said.

A plan proposed by presidents of Senegal and Benin calls for an amnesty for the coup plotters and would allow loyalists of ousted president Blaise Compaore to contest the upcoming elections.

The 1,200-strong presidential guard last Wednesday took Kafando and several members of government captive. Kafando and two ministers were released Friday amid international pressure.

Compaore was in power for 27 years until mass protests drove him abroad in October 2014.

His supporters had been excluded from the upcoming elections on November 22. Diendre insists they should be eligible to vote.