Turkey has launched new air strikes against the banned Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in the south-eastern province of Hakkari, the army said Wednesday.
Twenty-four targets were bombarded in the districts of Daglica and Yuksekova, the statement said, adding that two soldiers and two PKK fighters had been killed in two separate incidents on Tuesday.
The two soldiers were killed and three others slightly injured when their military vehicle entered a booby trap in Semdinli district, the army reported. A PKK fighter died in the ensuing clash.
The army said that it also killed a PKK fighter during an extensive anti-PKK operation in Yuksekova.
The conflict between the Turkish government and the PKK has escalated since a two-year ceasefire was broken at the end of July, for which each side blames the other.
Since then the PKK has launched almost daily attacks on the security forces and engaged in clashes with troops. Meanwhile the Turkish Air Force has regularly bombarded PKK positions in Turkey and across the border in northern Iraq.
The PKK is considered a terrorist organization by Turkey, the European Union and the United States.