Sydney (dpa) – The next blockbuster movies in the Thor and Alien series will be made in Australia, the government said Thursday.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said a deal had been struck with Marvel Studios to film Ragnarok, the next Thor film starring Australian actor Chris Hemsworth, and also with 20th Century Fox for director Ridley Scott to make Alien: Paradise Lost in Australia.
Filming is expected to start in 2016 and bring 300 million Australian dollars (217 million US dollars) into the country as well as providing 3,000 jobs, Bishop said in a statement.
“Our high-quality facilities, leading industry experts, outstanding creative talent and diverse landscapes have given us an exceptional reputation as a world-class destination,” Bishop said.
The low Australian dollar and extensive government subsidies also helps make Australia attractive to movie makers.