At least 12 people were killed and 71 were injured in a fire broke out in a karaoke bar early Sunday in Manado, the provincial capital of Indonesia’s North Sulawesi province.
Local news web site Kompas.com reported that the victims were killed as they were trapped on the second and third floor.
Witnesses told local media said fire broke out in one of the rooms on the second floor about 12.30 AM local time (1630 GMT)and that many victims could not hear the fire alarm ringing after the fire broke at
“There were no alarms ringing. I found out about the fire when I was out of the room,” a witness identified as Ifo was quoted as saying.
Ifo said he was renting a karaoke room on the third floor with his girlfriend and four friends in the karaoke bar.
All 12 victims have been identified and most them died because of smoke inhalation.
The police said the fire could have been caused by a short circuit.