The Croatian Ministry of the Interior confirmed on Sunday that one of the suspects in the Paris terrorist attacks had been registered at the Opatovac refugee reception centre, eastern Croatia on October 8.
“At France’s request we have made checks and found that the person named in their query passed the registration process at the Opatovac reception centre on October 8. Security checks established that this person was not in police records and there was no international warrant for him,” Interior Ministry spokeswoman Helena Biocic told Hina. She said that Croatia had promptly responded to the French query.
“Had that person been entered in any records and identified as a suspect or a potentially dangerous person, he would have been brought into custody in countries he had passed through before reaching Croatia, namely in Greece, Macedonia and Serbia, or in countries he passed through after leaving Croatia, that is in Hungary and Austria. Had an international arrest warrant been issued for that person, we would have singled him out and treated him according to the protocol,” Biocic said.
The Serbian Ministry of the Interior said earlier on Sunday that one of the suspects sought by French security services in connection with the terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday night, was registered at the Presevo border crossing with Macedonia on October 7, where he formally requested asylum. The suspect was identified by the initials A. A.
“It was established that his details matched those of a person registered in Greece on October 3. There had been no Interpol warrant out for his arrest,” the Serbian ministry said.
The Belgrade-based Blic newspaper said on its website on Saturday evening that the suspect had used the Balkan migration route, using a Syrian passport issued in the name of Ahmed Almuhamed. The newspaper published a copy of the passport.
The passport was found near the body of one of the gunmen killed in the Paris attacks. Greek officials said on Saturday that the passport was used by a man who had entered Greece on October 3. “The holder of the passport passed through the island of Leros on October 3, 2015, where he was identified according to EU rules,” Citizen Protection Minister Nikos Toskas said.