Philippines steps up security in wake of deadly attacks in France

0
1051

Manila (dpa) – The Philippines on Saturday vowed heightened security preparations ahead of an international economic summit in Manila next week in the wake of deadly attacks in France.

President Benigno Aquino said the country stands in solidary with Paris and condemns the series of attacks.

“In our time of need, France and her people stood shoulder to shoulder with the Philippines in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan,” he said in a statement. “We stand with France now, in the firm belief that the light must never dim in Paris.”

Aquino added that security forces were “taking all necessary precautions” to ensure the safety of the public and leaders from Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) countries arriving in Manila next week for their annual summit.

“There is no credible threat registered at this time but let us all be cooperative and vigilant,” he said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said it was monitoring the situation in Paris and has so far not received reports of Filipinos killed or injured in the attacks.

NO COMMENTS